In 1865 William Jones came to Marlborough from Vowchurch, England in search of a brighter future. William established Grove Farm in the Wairau Valley, and his son Hollis, (Bill’s father), later purchased another block in nearby O’Dwyers Road.
The farming operation run by Bill, Andrew and James was expanded in 1992 with the purchase of the Starborough homestead block and more recently the Long Lane vineyard.
A farming heritage going back 4 generations.
Starborough was the second sheep run established on the south side of the Awatere River in 1849. At one stage the property covered 35,000 acres and included the area which is now occupied by the Seddon township.
The Starborough homestead and tradition symbolise the heritage and values of the four generations of Jones’s who have made Marlborough their home.
Bill and Lynette’s son Andrew manages the family’s farming operation and his viticulturist brother James manages the Starborough wine brand and the company vineyards. Along with producing fruit for the Starborough label the Jones family contract grow for some of the most prestigious wine brands in the region.
While the Jones family has diversified into vineyards, they have not forgotten their roots. They still intensively farm much of their Starborough block with arable crops and livestock.